Thursday, March 11, 2010

Heroes Among Us

A bit of good news from the Good News Herald Atl:

They say that there is always a gift to be found in suffering.

Our world is undergoing a major transformation right now, transitioning from one period to another. For that reason, there is a lot of suffering right now.

There is a lot of violence. There is a lot of war. There's a lot of unemployment. There is a lot of drug use (prescription and illegal). And there are many natural disasters: the Asian tsunami, Katrina, and now the powerful earthquakes in Haiti and Chile.

But in the suffering caused by these natural disasters, the gift I see is the outpouring of compassion and empathy being shown to fellow humans across borders and over oceans.

When the tsunami hit poor coastal communities in 14 countries along the Indian Ocean millions of dollars were immediately raised and many people flooded into the devasted countries to assist in the cleaning and rebuilding process. Three years later, there were good news reports of how that money was spent to rebuild houses, bridges, fishing harbors, and infrastructure to get clean water and proper sanitation for the people still living in these areas.

The aftermath of Katrina is still going on 4 years after the fact. But there are still people there on the ground in New Orleans helping to rebuild what was lost when the levees broke. Here, too, good can be seen coming from the days of when 80 percent of New Orleans was underwater. New residents have come to the area as the recovery efforts continue, new industries are setting up in the region, and innovative charter schools have replaced many failing public schools. There are still problems, and the Ninth Ward is still pretty vacant, but the recovery effort has brought gifts to this city (Who Dat? Way to go Saints!) and the spirit of the people of New Orleans has not dimmed, but shone brighter through it all.

What is incredible to see then, and now, in the wake of the Haiti disaster, are the thousands of people who take it upon themselves to help out. No one asked them to. No one came to their house specifically and told them to take some time off from your job, your family, your life - and use your own money and resources to head down to a disaster zone and help out.

But they did anyway.

They simply feel a calling to help those affected and it's amazing. They are true heroes. These are people who, because they have skills that will be helpful, as doctors, nurses, firefighters, counselors, or just warm bodies - band together and help people who need it. It's a beautiful thing to see.

One web site sent called Matador sent an email out saying they were going to head to Haiti, and got 250 responses from people that were interested in dropping everything and going with them. They received messages like this,

"I am arriving to Puerto Plata on Friday for a previously planned vacation with my boyfriend. We are willing to join your group to volunteer if it is safe and feasible (we have a car) so I look forward to seeing how that plan comes together.”

“I have no idea where to even start but I did a quick google search and I have a HUGE feeling in my heart that I need to get to Haiti as soon as possible to do whatever I can to help these people. I have little money, but I have been a dairy farmer my whole life and I am more than able to work long and hard for these people.”

“Please keep me posted on possible volunteer opportunities in Haiti. My husband and I are adopting a little boy named Jeffry from Haiti, and had the opportunity to travel there in September. The people of Haiti and the country itself hold a piece of my heart. I have a current passport and am willing and able to do whatever I can. Thanks for your care and concern for Haiti!”

“Hi, my name is Joanne, and I am very saddened by this terrible and devastating event that has happened yesterday. I wouldn’t want anything more than to go to Haiti and help as much as I can. I am CPR certified and have almost complete training as an EMT. Please keep me up to date about possibly going over to help. Thank you.”

Hi my name is Rudy. I really want to go to Haiti and help in anyway that I can. I am also fluent in French and will pay airfare.
Please let me know what I can do.

Hi, I’m 32 years old French Canadian from Montreal born in Haïti, I’m free to get Haïti in a couple of days by myself. I was lifeguard in the past. I’m a real estate apparaiser with administration qualifications. I’m open to do anythings, I might need a roof. I can stay over there for 6 to 8 weeks.

Hello my name is Giovanni. I am 22 years old, I am a certified EMT-B with current CPR/First Aid and AED certifications, I already have a passport. I am willing and ready to aid in the efforts to help Haiti.

"I am a certified Medical assistant. Also certified for CPR. I work with the Army as a Medical Assistant every once in a while. Please e-mail me as soon as possible, I would love to drop anything I have going on to help. Thank you!"

"I am a nurse of 40 years and want to go to Haiti to help in any way I can. I can get the time off and pay for my own airfare. I work for a large company and I am sure that I can get monetary donations as well as my own medical supplies and anything else that may be needed."

"I to would like to donate my services as a EMT and FIrefighter/ rescue tech I have performed multiply searches and rescues and have Construction and Electrical Experince as well as Demolition experince would be happy to travel there with any group going to assist I can be reached at *****."

"Hello I am a certified heavy equipment operator looking to help out any way I can in rescue or demolition or whatever….I could pay my own airfare…I am good to go at a moments notice."

"I am a certified EMT & Firefighter with cofined space rescue and other certifications and would be more then happy to help with the rescue & recovery operations in Haiti I am not looking for money and I can bring large stockpile of medical supplies that have been donated by local hospitals here with my I am willing to spend as long as i am needed down there I can be contacted at ***** I will travel with any group any I am willing to travel by any means."

I want to give attention to these ordinarilary ordinary people, with big, friendly, open hearts who became extraordinary by seeing a need and doing what they could to help. There are so many of them! They all deserve a big pat on the back and a "Job well done!" for setting a beautiful, human example and showing us the gift amidst the suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment